Thursday, August 29, 2013

What We Live For In a World Without Do-Overs ...

Call it what you like.  Fate, providence or destiny.  I prefer serendipity - those times when life events come together to declare the world is as it should be.  So often, daily occurrences seem to have no rhyme or reason.  Give me something to make sense of my world. Serendipity does.  It provides comfort to my soul, and compares to the feeling I get when wrapped in the warm embrace of someone I love. 

I experienced a serendipitous few days when three seemingly unrelated events occurred this past week:  the distribution of my son’s high school yearbook; an article about regrets, and a funeral.  If each event had happened independent of the others, their impact on my life would not have been as significant as all three happening within a very short time frame. 

It may be easy to surmise why an article about regrets relates to a funeral, but what about the yearbook?  Yearbooks commemorate the past school year, generally covering a wide range of topics including academics, student life, sports and other major school events.  Oftentimes, they also include, much to the chagrin of this former yearbook editor, a section for those who were voted “class celebrities” by their peers.  This section includes photos of those most likely to succeed, cutest couple, class clowns, most spirited, etc. I have always had a problem with featuring the mock election results because I think a yearbook should represent all students, not highlight the popular few.

In this case, the yearbook staff understood that and nailed it. While they included the results of the mock election inside, on the cover, in red overlay are the words What We Live For.  At first, I thought it was a stock cover they ordered from the publisher.  Not so.  The words and phrases peeking out from beneath the over-lay were actual student responses when asked what they live for.  Learning this, I spent a half hour reading the cover before I even cracked open the book.   Sometimes younger folks provide profound moral insight beyond their years. This is one of those times.

Of course, every sport imaginable was there, as were many simple things that provide daily pleasure.  Things like peanut butter and jelly, French silk pie, coffee, dogs, cats, fashion, music, late summer walks, laughter and popcorn.  Some responses, however, were much deeper. They were notions such as faith, the greater good, being as happy as I can be, love, my family, my passions, a friend’s smile and my dreams.  Then there was one that jumped off the page at me, living life with no regrets.  Didn’t I just read something about that?  I did.

In her book Regrets of the Dying, Bronnie Ware, a long-time palliative care professional, writes about the common themes that surface when the dying speak of their regrets.   In her blog (www.inspirationandchai.com), Ware lists the five most common do-overs people would choose if they had a chance.  They are:  to have the courage to live a life true to myself, not what others expected of me; to not work so hard; to have the courage to express my feelings; to have stayed in touch with my friends and, to let myself be happier. 

Ware said the most common regret of all was not living a life true to one’s self, and the realization that it all came down to the choices they had made.  Choice.  Did I mention that was on the cover too?

A few days ago, I attended the funeral of a friend’s father, a man I barely knew.  The eulogy was delivered by his pastor, a man who knew him well.  The pastor spoke of the choices the man had made throughout his life.  Good choices.  Choices a man would never regret.  Absolute love and devotion to his soul mate – a woman he was married to for almost 60 years – and his children, as well as their families and spouses.    He surrounded himself with friends, as was evident by the number of older men in attendance.  He was a man of faith and remained true to it until his final breath.  Indicative of his belief in serving the greater good, he received veteran’s honors at his funeral.  One of the man’s most significant traits was his genuine display of happiness. He smiled all the time.


Feeling the serendipity yet?   We know what we live for.  Some of us even have the luxury of having it printed on a book cover for perpetuity.  The key is making the choice to remain true to ourselves.  High school students take heed.  May you rest in peace Charlie.  You showed us how to do it right.  

Copyright 2013 Carol M.W. Bagazinski.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment